UJ: Manager II (Bursaries & Refunds)
UJ: Manager II (Bursaries & Refunds)
Division / Faculty: Finance – Financial Governance & Revenue
Campus: Auckland Park Kingsway Campus
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, striving towards global excellence and stature. Ranked amongst the top 4% in the QS World Class Universities Ranking and 61st in the QS BRICS World Class Universities Ranking, UJ is recognised as an international university of choice. As a University, we aim to enrich our academic profile, and develop UJ as the pan-African epicentre of critical intellectual inquiry
Student Finance is a support division under the Financial Revenue and Governance department. The division is responsible for administration of NSFAS funding, Bursaries and Student debtors. Student Finance strives to provide excellent service to all students, parents, sponsors, donors, internal and external clients.
The division is decentralised across all campuses where NSFAS, Bursaries and student account enquiries can be accessed.
NSFAS is an acronym for the National Student Financial Aid Scheme. NSFAS is a statutory body, funded primarily by South Africa’s National Department of Higher Education and Training, providing study loans and bursaries to academically deserving and financially needy students who wish to study at one of South Africa’s public higher education institutions. NSFAS has appointed the University of Johannesburg (UJ) to administer funds on its behalf at UJ.
Manager II Responsibilities:
- Enforce the University Policy and procedures regarding Student Finance
- Reduce bursaries outstanding debt by implementing sound credit control policies
- Manage Refunds office and Financial aid function of the university
- Evaluate the authenticity of the refund claim by students and funders
- Authorise general payments related to Bursaries, grants and Scholarships.
- Authorise refunds pay-out to students and donors
- Liaise with auditors (internal and external) during the annual UJ audit
- Ensure timeous compilation of the Bursaries Booklet and procedures.
- Plan, co-ordinate and manage the annual budget for Student Finance Division.
- Sign off on monthly reconciliation for Management reporting
- Liaise with the SRC about ad hoc situations related to students.
- Build and Strengthen relationships between Internal/External Stake and UJ
- Quality on-time reporting of relevant statistics to management
- Manage the Open-day process in conjunction with Internal Divisions
- Encourage and build mutual trust, respect and co-operation amongst team members
- Manage staff, prepare work schedules and assign specific duties.
- Ad Hoc tasks
- BCom Degree with Accountancy or Management with a minimum of 3 years’ job-related experience, OR
- A Diploma in Accountancy or Management with a minimum of 5 years’ job-related experience.
- Experience within a tertiary education environment.
- Flexibility to work on all 4 campuses as and when required.
- Proven experience in working on ITS and Oracle computer systems is essential.
- Proven and excellent understanding of accounting principles.
- Proven ability to work under pressure with large volumes.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Good conflict management and decision-making skills
- Proficiency in English would be an advantage
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
- Good computer skills (MS Office Suite, ITS, Oracle).
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good presentation skills and attention to detail.
- Good planning, listening and organising skills.
- Excellent accounting abilities.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to interact with high level decision makers.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good people management skills.
Closing Date: 17 July 2020
Enquiries: Contact Ms Morongwa Mametse (HR Business Partner) on 011 559 4014