takealot.com: Data Engineer Vacancy 2020
takealot.com: Data Engineer Vacancy 2020
Job Title: Data Engineer
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Report to: Data Systems Director
- takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Data Engineer to join our team in Cape Town.
- At Takealot, our Data Engineering team is focused on designing, building, and troubleshooting data processing systems that are secure, reliable, fault-tolerant, scalable, and efficient.
- We are currently working towards building a completely new Real-Time Event-Driven Architecture for data processing using open-source and serverless technologies such as Debezium, BigQuery, Flink, Kafka, among others.
- This new Lakehouse will serve as the central source of truth, which multiple internal users will have access to, to drive their daily/monthly/quarterly decisions.
- Takealot is growing quickly, which brings a number of unique and interesting challenges. As such, data within the organisation is also growing quickly.
- This brings a lot of opportunities for you to shape the tools, technologies, and culture around data in the company.
- We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us.
- We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
Data Engineer Responsibilities Include:
- Designing, developing, testing, and maintaining data architectures.
- Preparing data for descriptive, predictive and prescriptive modelling
- Automating repetitive tasks and manual processes related with the data usage
- Optimizing data delivery
- Designing, developing, and testing large stream data pipelines to ingest, aggregate, clean, and distribute data models ready for analysis
- Ensuring the highest standard in data integrity
- Leveraging best practices in continuous integration and delivery
- Collaborating with other engineers, ML experts, analysts, and stakeholders to produce the most efficient and valuable solutions
- Contributing to our data democratisation and literacy vision by making accessible and easy-to-use data products and tools
- Implementing features, technology, and processes that move us towards industry best practices, improving on scalability, efficiency, reliability, and security
The Required Attributes:
- Works well with people and is passionate about helping people be their best
- Is a team player, an active listener, mentor, and able to communicate well
- Shows solid reasoning and decision making, with the ability to work under pressure
- Is passionate about technology, systems and data
- Is curious, always learning, and keeping up to date with the industry
- Has a deep understanding of data pipelining, streaming, and Big Data technologies, methods, patterns, and techniques.
- Has a solid grasp on data modelling, schema design, data warehouse, and data lake design and implementation
- Can troubleshoot complex database operations and performance issues
- Can automate tasks using shell scripting or writing small applications
Qualification & Experience:
- Comp-sci Degree or 3 years relevant industry experience
- Experience with open source relational database systems (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc)
- Significant technical experience and a proven track record of data modeling and schema design
- A thorough understanding of database and data warehousing principles (e.g. OLAP, Data Marts, Star Schema, Snowflake, etc)
- Write code (we use Java and Python)
- Familiar with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Travis, Circle CI, etc
- Have experience with Kafka, PubSub, or other event-based systems
- Must have experience with stream data pipeline frameworks or solutions such as Apache Flink, Apache Beam, Storm, Databricks, etc.
- Experience with data warehousing, data lakes, lambda/kappa architectures
- Experience working in cloud environments and with containerisation frameworks, tools and platforms (e.g Docker, Kubernetes, GKE, etc).
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- At takealot.com we are doers and not only thinkers, its all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to employ an Extraordinarily Mind who is:
- forthright but respectful
- an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- curious and challenge the status quo
- innovative and enjoys iteration
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference
How To Apply: