SEIFSA: Bursary Programme 2021 / 2022
SEIFSA: Bursary Programme 2021 / 2022
The Steel and Engineering Industries Federation of Southern Africa (SEIFSA) support and promotes the development of skilled human capital relevant to the Steel and Engineering industry. SEIFSA grants bursaries every year to learners who are pursuing a career related to the Steel and Engineering sector. The financial assistance is awarded to qualified full-time students registered for approved undergraduate Engineering programmes at South African University or students studying towards a National Diploma in Engineering at University of Technology (UoT).
The following prescribed fields of study are accepted to the SEIFSA bursary scheme:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- SEIFSA’s Bursary is only for students taking full-time courses in one of the above mentioned courses, is paid per annum and is awarded in the first instance for a one year period only.
Full bursary amount will be paid directly to the institution. Costs related to supplementary exams will NOT be paid for by SEIFSA.
Bursaries are renewable each academic year, based on SEIFSA’s decision which is according to fund availability and recipient’s academic results. Bursary recipients are responsible for providing academic progress reports to SEIFSA and failure to do so may results to termination of bursary.
- Upon successful completion of studies, bursary recipients will be expected to do vacation work in companies relevant to the steel and engineering sectors in South Africa for a timeframe equivalent to the awarded bursary duration. Confirmation about the employment should be reported every year by the students to SEIFSA.
- Experiential learning for the student will be arranged by SEIFSA.
- Failure to comply with the SEIFSA bursary terms and conditions, withdrawing from the course, misconduct in terms of institution rules, unsatisfactory academic performance and not informing SEIFSA about other funding sources received will results to termination of bursary.
- Should the student fail to meet the terms and conditions of the bursary and/or withdraw from the course of study and/or obtain financial assistance from somewhere else without advising SEIFSA, the bursary will be terminated.
- Bursaries are not awarded for correspondence courses.
- Bursaries awarded must be taken up at the relevant institution calendar year otherwise they will be forfeited.
- SEIFSA must be informed immediately of any change of address and/or contact details.
- No change of course will be allowed without the prior written permission of SEIFSA.
Requirements and Eligibility:
Bursaries will be made available to develop identified skills, with special emphasis on scarce and critical skills in the sector and transformation objectives. In order to be eligible for a bursary, applicants will have to fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a South African citizen
- 35 years old or younger
- Good academic results for Mathematics and Science with a minimum of 75% average on Grade 12 / Matric
- Studying or registered (accepted) to study at a recognized University or University of Technology in South Africa
- Passing a standard aptitude test or similar as required by the institution
- A gross household income of more than R350 000.00, but less than R650 000.00 per annum.
- The individual does not receive any other/further bursary for costs covered by the SEIFSA bursary;
- Preference will be given to applications from designated group, as well as employees of SEIFSA member companies and dependents.
- Relevance of the course to the Metals and Engineering industry and areas that fill the gaps in terms of scarce and critical skills
- The SEIFSA bursary will only cover the cost of tuition fees
- Students are liable for all other study costs (accommodation, meals, stationery, books, etc)
Closing Date: 14 March 2021
How to Apply and Application Details
1. Download and complete the SEIFSA Bursary Application Form 2021
2. Attach copies of the following documents:
- Passport size Photograph
- Proof of registration from the institution
- A certified copy of matric results
- An updated certified transcript of your latest academic results from the institution
- A certified copy of your Identity Document
- Testimonial from your Employer/School or person of Authority
- A motivational letter of not more than one page describing with emphasis the reason for choosing the career/field of study and the expected contribution to be made
- For students entering second/third/fourth year of study, a summary of previous year’s results must be submitted
- Medical declaration by applicant if deemed necessary or is a requirement for the relevant field of study
- Proof of parents income (payslips)
3. Submit complete applications to either the following methods:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (insert the words “SEIFSA Bursary Application – Your full name in the email subject line)
- Hand Delivery: 6th floor, Metal Industries House 42 Anderson Street Johannesburg
- Fax: 011 298 9543
Applicants will be notified of the results of their applications before the end of 30 April 2021.
Award letter will be given to the successful candidate for the confirmation of their acceptance of the award. The institution will be notified that the bursary has been awarded after confirmation of acceptance of the award.
Recipients must submit their student number and proof of registration to SEIFSA from the institution for the current academic year before the contract is forwarded to the student for signature.
For any queries regarding this specific bursary program, contact SEIFSA
Bursary Project Administrator