SAMRC: Project Accountant
SAMRC: Project Accountant
Company: South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC)
Job Title: Project Accountant
Reference: R319A (to be used in all Communications)
Contract Type: 5 Year Contract
Salary: R361 043 per annum, cost-to-company.
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) strives to improve the nation’s health and quality of life by funding and conducting relevant and leading health research. It further aims to promote equity, career development, and progression. The organisation prides itself on three core values: being pioneering, striving for excellence, and working collaboratively.
Project Accountant Job Specification:
Key to the role of the Project Accountant is financial and project management of specific projects at the Corporate level. The position manages, develops, and controls, to ensure the integrity and timely provision of financial management and corporate reporting, including budgeting, forecasting specific projects.
- Research contracts and grants management (Project Management)
- Maintain active contracts and grants on an electronic database
- Monthly financial reporting preparation of funder financial reports
- Managing budgets and reporting in foreign and local currency
- Maintain relationships across senior levels
- Analysis and recommendations for improved performance in financial areas
- Maintaining relationships with funders, sponsors, and other relevant stakeholders
- Assist monthly/quarterly / annually with identification and management of cost reimbursement/advance paid contracts and grants to comply to general accounting practices.
- Assist with project-related and year-end audits
- 3 Year Accounting degree or 4-year accounting diploma 5 to 8 years accounting and reporting experience
- Excellent knowledge of and experience in the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA), and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Proven track record in financial management, and preparation and monitoring of large amounts of external funding
- Advanced experience in MS Excel, proficiency in MS Word, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent communication skills and a strong analytical mind are pre-requisites, as the role requires communication with sponsors and collaborators both locally, nationally, and internationally
- Excellent organizational skills
- Donor funder research contract management
- NRF project management at University or Public Entity
- US Federal funded research projects focus area
- Project management
In accordance with the SAMRC’s Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender, and disability status to be specified. Disabled persons are encouraged to apply
Closing Date: 09 October 2020