Rio Tinto: Instrument Mechanician
- Opportunity to work for global company
- Our culture is inclusive, exciting and performance-driven
- Role based in Richards Bay
About the role
We are looking for an Artisan: Instrument Mechanician to perform preventative maintenance on process control instrumentation to achieve optimal plant availability by reducing downtime and breakdowns.
Reporting to the Maintenance Controller, you will:
- Inspect, repair and maintain assets and process control / instrumentation equipment to minimize adverse impact on production.
- Oversee, assist and support maintenance jobs of all Servicepersons.
- Perform condition monitoring, fault finding and problem solving on instrumentation.
- Perform fair and reasonable tasks related to the job and working environment, at the discretion of the Maintenance Controller / Supervisor.
- Liaise with Maintenance Controller / Supervisor to identify maintenance and service needs.
- Hands-on maintenance during breakdowns and shutdowns.
- Technical evaluation of equipment and projects.
- Adhere to planned maintenance schedules and minimize re-work.
- Optimal use of available resources (people and equipment).
- Complete and process job related documentation.
- Ensure and maintain a healthy environment, safe operations and practices.
- Comply with SHEQ- and technical requirements, in line with Plant availability targets.
- Monitor, identify and respond to defects and / or sub-standard equipment performance and other improvement opportunities.
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Matric / N3
- Trade Test: Instrument Mechanician
- Completed Apprenticeship and all modules within the Technical Training Centre (RBM), an asset.
- Work experience within a Heavy industry environment
- Basic exposure to maintenance of general plant equipment
- Basic computer knowledge preferable
- Specialized software packages (Artis Logics – Allen Bradley PLC’s
- Licence: EB.
Where you will be working
Owned by Rio Tinto and located in the KwaZulu Natal province, Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) is an internationally recognized sand mining and mineral processing operations leader and is one of the world’s foremost producers of titanium minerals, high purity pig iron and zircon.
Employing some 2 000 permanent staff and a number of well-established contracting companies, RBM is proud of the accreditation for ISO 9001 for quality, OHSAS 18001 certification for occupational health and safety management, and ISO 14001 accreditation for environmental management. The company has implemented a sound corporate social development programme and an internationally recognised environmental rehabilitation programme to restore the mined dunes to their natural state after mining.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
How to apply
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.