RCL Foods: Refrigeration Technician
Reference Number: RCL191220-1
Company: RCL Foods
Job Title: Refrigeration Technician
Function or Department: Engineering
Job Type Classification: Permanent
Location: Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
RCL FOODS is seeking a Refrigeration Technician to join our Vector Logistics Division. The role will be based in Roodeport/Lindbro/Midrand (the successful incumbent will be required to travel to all Inland Sites) and report to the Engineering Executive.
RCL FOODS is looking for an experienced Refrigeration Technician to perform skilled maintenance, installation, repair and inspection work on complex refrigeration equipment.
- Matric supplemented by an approved apprenticeship programme in industrial refrigeration
- Authorised refrigeration practitioner Cat B Ammonia Authorised refrigeration practitioner
- Cat B Transport refrigeration 3 years’ experience in the repair and maintenance of industrial/truck refrigeration equipment
Duties & Responsibilities:
Installation, Maintenance and Repair:
- Install refrigeration equipment and systems. Inspect systems and their components to ensure safety and identify necessary repairs and to provide an ongoing programme of preventive maintenance.
- Diagnose problems and/or failures in refrigeration systems to identify equipment and/or systems repair and replacement needs.
- Perform routine and preventive maintenance as needed and/or assigned to ensure the ongoing functioning of refrigeration systems.
- Test components using electrical, mechanical test equipment .
- Charge and leak test the refrigerant charged systems.
- Perform pre-start up checks on equipment and adjust as necessary.
- Lay-out and install reference points for determining equipment location.
- Prepare documentation (e.g. records of refrigerants, paperwork, logs, time and materials, specifications, etc.) for the purpose of providing written support in compliance with regulations and/or conveying information.
- Repair various items, systems and/or components to ensure that equipment are available and in safe working condition.
- Coordinate with Operations management, administration and other members of the maintenance team to complete projects/work orders efficiently.
- Inform the Maintenance Engineer regarding procedures and/or status of work orders for the purpose of providing information for making decisions, taking appropriate action and/or complying with health and safety regulations.
- Assist other maintenance personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
- Maintain tools and/or equipment to ensure the availability of equipment in safe operating condition.
- Respond to emergency situations during or after hours to resolve immediate safety concerns.
- Transport various items (e.g. tools, equipment, supplies, etc.) to ensure the availability of materials required at job site.
- Dismantle malfunctioning systems, analyse and test components, using electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic testing equipment
Implementation of Safety Health Environment, Risk and Quality (SHEQ):
- Implement and comply with health and safety procedures.
- Ensure that documentation required within the Total Integrated Management System (TIMS), is applied consistently within scope of function.
- Complete a spares requisition once spares have been drawn from stores in order to have the buyer procure and replenish stock.
Effective Teamwork and Self-Management:
- Take ownership and accountability for tasks and activities and demonstrate effective self-management in terms of planning and prioritising, and self development.
- Follow through to ensure that quality and productivity standards of work are consistently and accurately maintained.
- Inform relevant parties in the event of tasks or deadlines not met, the potential risks thereof and provide appropriate resolution.
- Manage colleagues and employees’ expectations and communicate appropriately.
- Demonstrate willingness to help others and “go the extra mile” to meet team targets and objectives.