Murray & Roberts: Safety Officer
Location: Polokwane / Pietersburg
Contract: Temporary / Contract
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Oversee the planning, creation and implementation of the occupational health and safety program of the company & governmental organization. Duties include administrative, supervisory and hands-on tasks.
- Minimum 5 years proven experience as an HSE Officer preferably in an Engineering or Construction environment specific to Electrical and Instrumentation environment.
- Thorough knowledge of safety procedures and legal regulations and guidelines
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving ability
- Computer literate, Microsoft Office programs.
- Applicable HSE certification (SAMTRAC or equivalent)
- HIRA (Hazard Identification / Risk Assessment)
- Incident Investigation certification
- First aid Level 2 (valid Certification)
- Legal Liability training
- OHSA/Construction regulation training
- SACPCMP registration / No candidate registration will be accepted
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
- Compile schedule for internal and external audits, legal inspections, Risk reviews, Fire risk surveys, hygiene surveys.
- Ensuring that all incidents are logged on according to the Coid Act and that actions are correctly assigned.
- Monitor incident reports and actions to ensure timely close-out.
- Develop & maintain Safety files
- Gather and capture weekly and monthly statistics. e.g. Near miss reports, close off reports, VFL’s
- Submit weekly and monthly reports to management as and when required.
- Fulfil administrative function in development and implementation of Safety Health & Environment.
- Conduct monthly self (internal) audits and facilitate external auditors with necessary documentation
- Assist in maintaining & conducting the health and safety risk management system.
- Assist with SHE audits and inspections, and see to it that the audit results are rectified & completed in the time given
- Assist in compiling the SHE Plan
- Assist with risk identification, evaluation and development of safe work procedures
- Conduct or have conducted a hazard analysis and take the necessary corrective action
- Ensure all accidents are properly recorded, reported and investigated
- Ensure Safety Meetings are held regularly and the results recorded
- Ensure Health and Safety Representatives conduct monthly inspections and submit the required reports
- Ensure the contractors comply with the health and safety specifications
- Issue non-conformances and keep record of the same where required
- Assist with establishment of the fall protection plan.
- Where it is not possible to remove any remaining hazard/s you are to inform employees thereof and what precautionary action is to be taken.
- Ensure appropriate restoration of areas affected by construction.
- Detail mitigating measures required to be taken, and the procedures for their implementation to the Project Manage
- Establish the reporting system to be undertaken during construction and ensure effective reporting to management on the deviations identified and required action to be taken.
- Ensure EMP compliance.
- Ensure monthly Safety, Health and Environmental reports are submitted to the Project Manager.
- Ensure the implementation with the Company System Procedures for Health and Safety
- Ensure statistics are maintained on site regarding accidents, injuries, man-hours, lost time and risk assessments
- Ensure training needs are identified and implemented.
- Assist with Induction training.
- Ensure that all inspection registers are kept up to date & conduct monthly inspections
- Good communication skills
- Good problem solving / electrical capability
- Output driven
- Quality conscious.
- Service driven
- Attentive to detail