Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA): Bursary Programme 2020
About Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA):
The Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) is a Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA) responsible for the skills development for the mining and minerals sector in South Africa. Not only the organization addresses skills training for the mining industry, it also deal with the increase of women participation in mining as well as the empowerment of disadvantaged communities.
About Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) Bursary:
The MQA bursary was founded to assist students in studying mining and minerals fields by offering education opportunities at Higher Education and Training (HET). The bursary covers tuition and registration fees, residence costs, and books and toolkit allowance. The successful applicants will be obligated to work within the South African mining and minerals sector for the same amount of years as the sponsored bursary.
The bursary is available to students who are enrolled in the University, Further Education and Training institution (FET) and the University of Technology. The awarded bursary is based on the student’s academic performance and will continue for every year the student is enrolled.
The MQA bursary accepts the following mining fields of study:
- Mining Engineering
- Mine Survey
- Metallurgical Engineering (Extractive only)
- Environmental Health and Management
The following disciplines will also be considered through a limited number of bursaries:
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering( Mineral Processing)
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Analytical Chemistry
- Jewellery Design and Manufacturing
Female applicants, as well as applicants with disabilities, will be given special consideration.
- Students of a University, Further Education and Training institution (FET) and University of Technology
- Strong academic record
- Proven financial need
- Students studying in mining-related degrees
- Consideration will be given to female or disabled applicants
Closing Date: 31 January 2020
How To Apply:
Submit copies of the following supporting documentation along with your application form (these documents are compulsory – if any of these items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- Certified copy of Senior Certificate (Grade 12)
- Full academic record on the official letterhead of institution or logo (if you are already studying at a university, university of technology.
- Acceptance letter from a university, university of technology for first time students.
- Certified copy of a valid South African identity document not older than three (3) months.
- Letter of consent to engage MQA bursary scheme from immediate supervisor.
The completed application form and supporting documents can be submitted at the following MQA offices:
Gauteng: 7 Anerley Road, Block C, Parktown, 2193 / Tel: 011 547 2600 / Post: Private Bag X118, Marshalltown, 2107
Eastern Cape: King Sabatha Dalindyebo TVET College, R61 Queenstown Road Cicira Village, Mthatha / Tel: 087 095 0497
Free State: Goldfields TVET College, 14107 Ndaki Road, Tosa Campus Thabong / Tel: 087 095 0266 / VutomiC@mqa.org.za
Limpopo: Sekhukhune TVET College, CN Phathudi Campus Stand No. 2659, Praktiseer / Tel: 087 095 0267 / DiiteleniT@mqa.org.za
Mpumalanga: Nkangala TVET College, Mpondozamkomo Campus, 1 Moses Kotane Drive, Ferrobank / Tel: 013 696 8120 / 2121
North West: Orbit TVET College, Mankwe Campus, Stand 230, Unit 2 Mogwase / Tel: 014 555 8860 / TebogoT@mqa.org.za
Northern Cape: Northern Cape Rural TVET College, Kathu Campus, Hans Coetzee Drive, Kathu / Tel: 053 723 0100 / JoshuaC@mqa.org.za