LegalWise: Bursary Opportunities 2021 / 2022
LegalWise: Bursary Opportunities 2021 / 2022
LegalWise invites students to apply for the bursary programme for the year 2021 / 2022.
LegalWise was founded in the 1984 by Zak Crafford, a then Legal Aid employee. The company aims to provide affordable, equal and fair access to justice and legal assistance for South Africans. LegalWise provides assistance for criminal, civil and labour related cases, giving people access to their basic rights according to the law.
The company offers 3 membership options (Gold, GoldPlus and Platinum), each providing a maximum coverage for legal cases. LegalWise currently employs between 500 and 1000 staff members across their 80 branches.
Clients receive assistance in the form of face-to-face legal counselling, access to a panel of experienced and highly qualified attorneys, cover for legal expenses if representation in court is required, 24-hour telephonic legal assistance, email legal assistance during working hours,
About The LegalWise Bursary:
LegalWise are inviting Members or children of Members, to apply for their bursary programme for the 2022 academic year. The LegalWise Member Bursary Programme aims to assist students, both financially and with mentorship support, and thereby enable them to further their studies in fields which LegalWise has a need to recruit.
Bursaries will be awarded to students currently pursuing studies towards any of the following degree qualifications:
- BA (Law)
- BCom (Law)
- BCom (Accounting)
- BCom (Human Resource Management)
- BCom (Industrial Psychology)
- BCom (Management)
The bursary will provide partial cover for study-related expenses, including the following: annual registration fees tuition fees (capped at R40 000 per year). The bursary will NOT cover any outstanding student debt or failed subjects.
Shortlisted candidates will be contact and required to attend an interview at their nearest LegalWise Branch.
Bursaries are awarded based on academic performance throughout the year and submitting results and accounts to the Bursary Administrator on time.
Bursaries are renewable each year based on 3 factors: compliance with Bursary Agreement T&C’s, satisfactory academic performance, and completion of vacation work.
Bursary recipients will be required to complete their studies within the minimum allocated number of years, as specified by the University.
Bursary recipients will be required to take part in paid vacation work at LegalWise Branch close to them, for 5 weeks per year (2 weeks during the June/ July holidays and 3 weeks during the December holidays).
Students who are studying towards one of the BCom degrees (in Accounting, Human Resource Management, Industrial Psychology or Management), will be required to take part in paid vacation work and service obligation at the LegalWise Roodepoort branch. Students will be responsible for their own travel and accommodation if they are not residing in the area.
Once students have graduated, they must complete their in-house service obligation – the duration of the service contract is 6 months of paid service for each year of bursary funding received.
Minimum Requirements For The LegalWise Bursary:
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a LegalWise Member OR a child of a LegalWise Member (biological, adopted or under legal guardianship)
- The LegalWise Member must be fully paid up for a minimum of 2 years before application and must remain a Member for the entire duration of the bursary
- You must have completed Matric
- You must be studying full-time towards one of the aforementioned degree qualifications (part-time, distance or correspondence students will NOT be funded)
- You must be in your 1st or later year of study (1st year students will NOT be funded)
- You must be registered and studying at one of the following tertiary institutes:
- University of Johannesburg
- University of Witwatersrand (WITS)
- University of Pretoria
- University of Cape Town
- University of the Western Cape
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- University of Limpopo
- University of Fort Hare
- University of the Free State
- Rhodes University
- North-West University (Mafikeng or Potchefstroom campus)
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- You must have achieved a minimum overall average of 60% or “C” symbol for the previous year of study
- You must be fluent in English and at least 1 other South African official language (able to speak, read and write)
- You must possess the following qualities: a positive attitude, determination, commitment, able to work in a team, show initiative, good communication skills and good interpersonal skills
Closing Date: 30 September 2021
How To Apply For LegalWise Bursary:
Download and Complete the LegalWise: Bursary Opportunities 2021 / 2022 Application Form (.pdf)
Applications must be submitted in one of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Insert the words “MQA Bursary Application” in the email subject line).
- Fax: 011 670 4557
- Post: External Bursary Department – c/o LegalWise, P O Box 1524, Florida, 1709
- Hand delivered to your closest LegalWise branch (Select Branch)
Please note these important details when applying:
- The applications form is in a fillable PDF format – you must complete it electronically (preferably on a desktop computer or laptop) and NOT by hand.
- Supporting documents must be scanned and properly named – please do not take pictures of your documents with a cellphone or tablet.
- Email your applications forms and all of your supporting documents in one email.
- Ensure that all the information you provide in your application form is true and correct – submitting false information and documents will result in disqualification.