CSIR Cybersecurity Internship
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
About the job:
The CSIR has an Internship opportunity in the Command, Control and Information Warfare impact area within the Defence and Security cluster. The purpose of the Internship is to provide graduates with an opportunity to gain practical work experience and develop capacity and capabilities in the cybersecurity domain. This position is based in Pretoria.
Under focused mentorship, coaching and supervision the Intern will be required to:
- Work in internal technical projects with multiple project teams;
- Conduct technical research and development in the cybersecurity environment;
- Develop technology demonstrators using modern programming languages and following software development guidelines, principles and standards;
- Support the design and review of systems and security architectures;
- Follow agile methodologies to execute various technical projects, including documenting code and tracking tasks;
- Write technical reports detailing research conducted and technical deliverables;
- Support project teams with code reviews, documentation, project coordination, and technical administration of security systems and applications using open source tools such as Redmine;
- Collect cybersecurity threat intelligence from different sources;
- Support and conduct technical cybersecurity assessments (i.e. vulnerability assessments and penetration testing) and reporting.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A National diploma in computer systems engineering, information technology or related fields. A Bachelor’s or
- Honours degree will be advantageous;
- Exposure in basic software development projects;
- Knowledge in information and/or network security;
- Practical knowledge and understanding of at least two modern programming languages (e.g. C#, Python, Java, Ruby, React, NodeJS, JQuery and other relevant languages);
- Knowledge in Databases and Servers;
- Practical knowledge in Windows/Linux environments;
- Knowledge in Software Design and Patterns;
- Strong understanding of software, mobile, and web engineering principles including software development lifecycle (SDLC);
- Strong technical writing skills;
Closing date: 27 August 2019
How to apply:
Click Here To Apply For CSIR Cybersecurity Internship
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.