GE Power: Generator Winder
Additional Locations: Johannesburg, South Africa
The Generator Winder, will have technical knowledge and experience working with GE / Alstom / O’OEM large Generators . He/she is responsible for the on-site repair as a Winder you will perform complicated operations involving the inspection, repair, replacement, installation and maintenance of all mechanical and electrical components in turbine Generators with emphasis on the Generator Stator and rotating Field .
As a Winder you will:
- Perform mechanical disassembly / reassembly of generator rotors in high quality and timely fashion – (to include removal and installation of coupling, fans, retaining rings, blower hubs, wedges, blocking)
- Perform major and minor repairs on Generator Stator ( End winding Repairs / Full stator Rewinds / Wedging / Applying Chemicals / RTD connections / High voltage bushing replacement and all other related repairs )
- Perform this work using drawings, work procedures or work orders with minimal supervision
- Braze either by torch, carbon or induction
- Perform all electrical tests and inspections
- Troubleshoot electrical or mechanical issues
- High School Diploma / GED or equivalent knowledge or work experience
- Must be a certified Armature Winder
- Significant experience with large Generators ( Air cooled / Hydrogen Cooled ) stator and/or electrical component winding
- Ability and willingness to travel to sites in MEA region and globally.
- Ability and willingness to work overtime to include off-hours, weekends and holidays
- Experience performing electrical testing
- Apprenticeship card from state certified apprenticeship program
- Associate’s Degree or Trade School Degree
- Significant experience with generators and rotors
- Significant experience with assembling/ disassembling end bells / retaining rings
- Significant experience brazing either by torch, carbon or induction
GE Power is a world leader in power generation with deep domain expertise that helps customers deliver electricity from a wide spectrum of fuel sources. We are transforming the electricity industry with the digital power plant, the world’s largest & most efficient gas turbine, full balance of plant solutions and our data-leveraging software. Our innovative technologies and digital offerings help make power and water more affordable, reliable, accessible and sustainable.
GE is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you!