CSIR: Internship Programme 2020
Employment Type: Internship
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
About the job:
The CSIR has an Internship opportunity for Library and Information Science Intern in the Library Technical Services Stream. The purpose of the Internship is to provide graduates with an opportunity to gain practical work experience in the library and information services field within a research and development environment. These positions are based in Pretoria.
Under supervision the Intern will be required to:
- Monitor and process Interlibrary Loan requests on OCLC
- Catalogue and classify books and journals
- Shelve books and journals
- Quality control book and journal collection
- Quality control OCLC Knowledge Base
- Weed library material when necessary
- Conduct subject specific literature searchers under the guidance of the Information Specialist;
- Provide client facing services
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in library/ information science;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Customer service attitude;
- Knowledge and experience in Microsoft PowerPoint / Excel ;
- Attention to detail;
- Team player;
- Goal oriented and deadline driven;
- Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise.