ANGLOGOLD ASHANTI: CHIEF MINING ENGINEER: OPERATIONAL SUPPORT
Vacancy: Chief Mining Engineer: Operational Support
Department: Mining – COO Africa
Location: 76 Rahima Moosa Street, Johannesburg
A vacancy exists within COO Africa at the Corporate Office in Johannesburg for a Chief Mining Engineer: Operational Support.
THE PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
To provide direct Mining operational and technical support to the AGA operating Open Pit & Underground assets within the African Region in order to drive industry leading mining practices and to achieve business objectives/targets.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BSc Mining / Engineering Degree or equivalent, or equivalent operational experience
- Mine Manager’s Certificate of Competency or equivalent
- Eight (8) to ten (10) years operational experience within both open pit mining & underground environments of which at least three (3) years is at a manger level or in a technical specialist role
- A post-graduate degree qualification in a mining-related discipline will be an advantage
- A relevant business qualification (e.g., MBA, financial course) will be an advantage
- Preparedness to undertake extensive business travel
- Be physically fit and be able to pass pre-employment and medical examinations / screening
- Familiar with Mining Software
- Demonstrated capacity to make sound short-term tactical decisions – quickly assembling and interpreting data to successfully action priorities
- Demonstrated capability in organising work, setting priorities and exercising sound independent judgement
- Strong ability to work effectively with people, including high performing professional teams
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and communication skills
- Demonstrated capability and willingness to explore and embrace different cultures
- Ability & wiliness to reside in Johannesburg, South Africa
- High energy and level of enthusiasm for the work with high performance goals for self
- Preparedness to take a well-reasoned stand on matters of importance
- Well-developed industry networks
- Strong track record of success in the resources industry
- Strong track record in business improvement and change management
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Can identify and interpret safety risks and resolve emerging issues; and ensuring that appropriate focus and resources are available to achieve safety objectives.
Mining Production Processes & Practices:
- Extensive experience and understanding of open pit & underground mining production process/practices.
- Understanding of good production practices, management, support systems, and how each should interact to deliver targeted performance.
- Considered an expert for developing innovative technical ideas/practices within the open pit & underground mining production process.
- Proven ability to implement changes in line with ‘best in class’ practices / technology and able to lead field trials on new methods and technologies.
- Able to lead field trials on new mining methods and technologies.
- An expert level knowledge of underground mining methods and strengths and weaknesses of the methods and the applicable use.
- Ability to effectively lead and communicate to all levels of the team.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels at operational sites.
- Understands key processes and systems to drive the best performance from all team members
- Understanding of the key skills & knowledge required by all team members in order to carry out their roles effectively and safely.
- Demonstrated ability of being able to identify and develop emerging talents within a multi-discipline team.
- Actively listens to the opinions and challenges of others
- Able to proactively identify impacts, issues and opportunities associated with changes in other disciplines/ process (and vice versa)
- Uses cost-benefit thinking to set priorities and identify cost-effective approaches
- Strong understanding of mining cost drivers and their impact to the overall financial results of the operation.
Understanding of best practice mine planning processes and the ability to drive the establishment of required planning systems and approaches.
Strong knowledge in contract management practices and demonstrated ability in managing operational mining contracts.
- Understands AGA project management standards and has applied them in a minor project to conceptual level.
- Ability to lead a minor project and interact with test work and engineering consultant service providers.
- Thinks creatively to develop multiple, workable options.
- Generates innovative solutions, which continuously improve the performance of existing assets, products, services or processes.
- Demonstrating an openness to new ideas and new ways of working.
- Modelling behaviour that is consistent with the AGA Safety Vision and Values, assisting in driving a culture where Safety is our first value, and providing support for incident/accident investigations where required
- Provide Mining Leadership and Support to drive Operations Excellence, including:
- Provide specialist technical support to the sites including data analysis and establishing performance metrics
- Review, monitor and provide guidance and support on performance to ensure opportunities and emerging issues are identified, with
- plans put in place
- Provide leadership and support in driving best practice in all operations, from the annual planning process to execution
- Drive the coordination, development, implementation and revision of mining processes and systems
- Active participant in providing technical guidance and support to sites with major mining related projects at either pre-feasibility, feasibility or execution stage
- Actively monitor and benchmark operational performance across the mining operations
- Keeping abreast with innovations in the industry and the identification of associated opportunities aimed at enhancing the performance of the business
Review, monitor and provide guidance to ensure the development of optimised operational mining plans that ensure delivery of the business requirements.
- Active participant in ensuring the Discipline Health system is effective within the African Operations
- Active leader in establishing and maintaining the community of practice for Open Pit & Underground mining practitioners, and ensuring key learnings are shared across required operations
- Drive Operational Excellence in the Discipline which includes working with managers and managers once removed (MORs) to ensure appropriate knowledge and skills in the discipline (Mining) at all applicable sites
Vice President: Mining
Salary will be in accordance with the AngloGold Ashanti Schedule of Salaries.
Please complete the Internal Job Application Form (attached) and kindly inform your Line Manager, Manager once Removed and HR Manager of your intentions. Submit the signed Internal Job Application Form with your comprehensive CV via success factors by close of business on 05 July 2019.
Please note that applications should be submitted before close of business on 5 July 2019 and applicants not contacted within 31 days of applying, should consider their application unsuccessful.
HOW TO APPLY:
Click here to apply online ….